Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Kid Sister Got Married

So my little kid sister, the one that used to munch on dog food and catch flies for her pet lizards, she just got married.  And she was positively radiant, the epitome of beauty and grace.  See what I mean?



My kiddos were the flower girl and ring bearer.  Ellie was beyond excited.  More than once I caught her looking at herself in a window reflection and twirling with delight in all her flower girl glory.  At one point during the day, she ran up to me with a very concerned look on her face.  She, the girl who hates to have her hair done and would prefer to live with a permanent rat's nest than to have it brushed, asked, "Mommy, are my curls ruined?"  No, I assured her, the curls were perfect.  Satisfied, she pranced off to enjoy her day as princess.  If you ask her, her very favorite part of the wedding was the dancing.  She stood at the very edge of the dance floor and watched enthralled during every note of the bride and groom's first dance, the father-daughter dance, and the mother-son dance.  Then she reached euphoria when everyone busted onto the dance floor, and she got to go boogie, too. 





I'm quite certain Ellie's flower girl memories will forever hold a place in her heart.  Aiden was not so thrilled with his role as ring bearer.  He yelled, "Ow! Ow! Ow!" during the getting dressed process and would have nothing to do with posing for no stinkin' pictures.  He had much more important things to attend to, like throwing rocks and sticks in the pond.  Such a boy.   



Both kids did, however, walk down the aisle.  Not together, but without crying or tantrums (like the rehearsal), so mission accomplished.  The whole day was magical.  It was an outdoor wedding in a picturesque vineyard, surrounded by rolling green hills dotted with big round hay bales.  The reception was in a barn making it comfortably casual while being simply elegant.  Aaron and I got to steal the bride and groom away for a few moments to capture them against the glorious sunset, all enraptured by their newly wed bliss.  Some moments are too perfect for words.       


(And how amazing is my photographer husband??)

I got to toast my sister at the reception.  It went something like this:

"If I did not have a sister, and someone said to me, 'If you could hand-make your very own sister, what would she be like?'  I would say that my hand-made sister would be someone fun and creative.  Someone sensitive and caring.  Someone that I could be my realest self with.  That no matter the distance or years that seperate us, that when we are together, we can share our heart of hearts with each other.  I would want a sister that would love my children.  Someone that would model to my daughter what it means to be a woman of strength and grace, compassion and service.  

Everything I could ever want in a sister I already have.  I have it in you.  I want to be like you.  I want my daughter to be like you.  I love you so very, very much."   Big sniffly hug.


              

2 comments:

  1. These pictures are absolutely goregeous! I especially love the one of you with Ellie and Aiden only Aiden looks like he is crying to get away. As a Mom with three boys I have a lot of pictures like that. So happy for your sister. Wishing them much happiness as they begin their life together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marisa! We're so happy for them too. And three boys...I can only imagine! :)

      Delete