Thursday, July 26, 2012

It's My Birthday and Here's What I Want...from You.

Ok, I'm just going to say it.  I want you to like my blog.  I feel totally lame and self-serving saying that, but if there's one day a year that you're allowed to be all "Me! Me! Me!" it's your birthday.



Today is my 30th birthday, and so I'm asking you to "like" my blog.  If you want to know why, keep reading.  If you'd rather get back to scrolling through FB status updates, just take 0.2 seconds, click "like" on that facebook box on the right and be on your way, satisfied that you just gave someone the perfect birthday present. (Or even better you can also subscribe, especially if you're not a super avid facebooker.)

Alright, back to the why.  Birthdays of course have the tendency to cause reflection, especially these big ol' decade markers.  For quite a while, I've been dreading this birthday, which is a first for me.  I wrote about the big 3-0 being my goodbye to youth and my official welcome to wrinkles, sags, and stretch marks here. 

So today I'm feeling, deep in my veins, the truth about beauty.  That it is knit up in our souls, the very dust of our beings.  It's found in you and in me and in the grit and glory of each day.  For me, this blog is about that.  Since Saturday November 12, 2011, I've been writing bits of me out in this little corner of the internet, and in doing so, I am finding my voice.  And I'm finding the beautiful voices of others echoing across these wireless waves.  And it's life blood.

They say your twenties are about finding yourself.  I don't know that I found myself as much as I myself was formed by all that the decade held - marriage, motherhood, ministry, moving.   



As I step into this next decade, I've got some dreams rolling around in my heart that are not yet ready to share, but I will say that they are tied to writing and building community - not just for myself, but for a certain group of hearts that are yearning for the beauty and art of their hearts to be unleashed.  And in the craziness of today's age, your clicks can help me with these dreams.  It's still very much a whispered prayer at this point.  But me asking you to subscribe, to like, to follow (yes, by golly, I'm actually tweeting @danielleNYT), it's a step towards the dream. 
          
So there's that.  And then there's the fact that I'm pretty much terrible about picking up the phone to call anyone, and almost as bad about getting newsletters out.  So this blog-o'-mine is really the best way to stay connected to us and this gypsy life of ours. 



Some day on these pages, I get riled up and soap box-ish about things.  Other days, I'm writing it down so as to not miss the moments or the beans between my toes.  I'll let you peak into my marriage.  You'll probably hear about my slimy-yogurt-faced son and my chatter-me-crazy daughter, and why they're the best in the world.  I'll share my fears about not being enough, and you'll hear me admit we're in therapy.  I'll likely get super sappy here in a few weeks when baby is born.  You can rock with me through the sanctuary of sleepless nights.  Then in a year you can watch us up and move across the world again, following this conviction in our bones.

And maybe, just maybe you'll hear more about this dream of mine and see it unwrap.  Until then, go click me a birthday present, and help me holla at my thirties.   

7 comments:

  1. I am happy to like your facebook page! I am also following you on twitter. I love your blog. Your writing is beautiful. You have a gift. Happy Birthday! I can honestly say the 30's are great. I am more than half way through mine and it has honestly been the best time of my life. Enjoy your day and I look forward to reading about your next adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marisa! You are such an encourager!

      Delete
  2. A very happy birthday, to a deep-thinking, lovely woman!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula. Just the thought of you gives me hope for the journey.

      Delete
  3. You go, girl! Love the way God is releasing your beautiful voice to encourage and strengthen our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **Big prego hug with bellies in the way** :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday! Milestones are great for reflection...Each decade brings its own joys and griefs...I am three years away from 5-0...in my twenties I was where you are...thirties more finding myself...forties dealing with disappointments, but stretching out my brain cells by returning to college...graduated this past December...dreams keep coming and even though my body won't birth any more babies...it will keep birthing dreams...enjoy this season and every moment of the process...

    ReplyDelete