Monday, August 20, 2012

The Stretch of Birth

The belly skin stretches tighter than taut. 

The night stretches long into dawn.

And you are churning, churning within.  Time to emerge and greet the world.

My body heaves with you and stretches open inside.

Pain, pain, I must greet it, not fight it.  It's bringing my baby to me.

I meet the moment when I know I cannot, and then I do, stretching deeper than I know.

The stretching of all that is in me, my strength, my heart, my all, to bring you forth.

The blessed relief, then one more push, and you're here.

"It's a boy!" your dad gasps in awe. 

Then you're in my hands, on my skin, smelling of new life.



You are here.  You are here.

My soul sighs.






**Linking up with gypsymama for "5 Minute Friday" on the word "Stretch."**







4 comments:

  1. Oh this was absolutely beautiful!!

    "Pain, pain, I must greet it, not fight it. It's bringing my baby to me."

    Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm definitely posting this to my facebook! It's so hard to describe the intensity of labor and at the same time relay the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazingly touching account of what one goes through... In December, it will be 30 years since I birthed my son - now a Marine Capt. (USNA 2005) and just returned from a third deployment, this last one to Afghanistan - and as I breathe your words...it is 'just yesterday' that he came into my life... You have it all ahead - and I know for a fact that it's good we don't 'know ahead' - Just cherish each day as you bring him up...they are Precious Moments...too soon gone... ;-}
    Lynden
    http://aneleganttouch-lynden.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/An-Elegant-Touch-/162889457132788

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a beautiful poem! And you look absolutely amazing!!! And what a cute baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful... God's gift really takes our breath away!

    ReplyDelete